Diesel Place banner

picked up a used Dmax, what oil?

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Supercop8100 
#1 ·
hey guys, I just picked up a used LLY. 30,000mi on the clock, the PO had written the mileage on ALL the filters along with the date it was changed but I have no idea what oil was used. I plan to use this truck as a tow rig only grossing 26K. It might get used once a month, maybe 5,000mi per year but ALWAYS towing heavy.

So what oil? I always ran rotella 15-40 years ago when I had my 01 LB7. I have 10qts of rotella 15-40 sitting around that didn't get used from my ol IDI ford. (RIP) should I just use that for this years oil change or should I run out and pick up some rotella synthetic?

Also, I was thinking of just changing the oil once a year or 5,000mi whatever comes first..

what says the almighty DP? :D

#2 ·
Stay with what u had/have used before.

#4 ·
I run Delo 400. Have had a couple trucks with over 400K miles and still ran strong so it must be good stuff.

#6 ·
Any API CI-4 or CJ-4 15W40 oil. Oil is oil ( oio ).

#8 ·
At only 5k miles per year you can use any oil you want and feel comfortable. You are not going to use the oil anywhere beyond the capability of the additive package.

#9 ·
The Dmax is one of the better wearing light diesels of all time.

As long as you use a qualifed multi-grade HDEO product (CH-4 or higher) for your LLY it really does not care about the brand/grade/base stock at all. There is mounds upon hills of mountains of data that proves this to be true.

Given your OCI plan of max 5k miles (or one year) I'd buy the least expensive qualified lube you can find; consider ST or farm supply sources.

#10 ·
The 6.6 is very easy on oil if your one year comes up and you don't have 5k on your fill your waisting good oil,we go 11k on our farm truck and a recent UOA at 11k showed minimal wear and plenty of active additive left.(oil was in good shape)

My self if the truck don't get used that often id do two years 10k.

#11 ·
Rotella or Amsoil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.