Diesel Place banner

2003 2500hd w/bose speaker static/pops

5K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  duramaxdummy 
#1 ·
Following a close encounter with lightning my driver side speaker pops and has static when key is in and no radio on, with radio all speakers seem to have static. The cd player needed repair so it was repaired and tested good, installed new bose amplifier, cleaned grounds on frame below driver door, replaced both batteries and cleaned cable ends and still problem exists. My latest thought is the ignition switch possibly bad but I'm getting tired of throwing parts at this thing, any ideas?

#2 ·
Well I have eliminated the speakers, the static is only on the driver side and swapping pass for driver speaker has no effect.
I have a Diablo Predator that reads engine codes, should it read chassis elecrtical codes too? should stealership be able to easilly diagnoss?

#3 ·
Well most of my hair has been pulled out along with the interior of my truck. Entire consol harness is exposed and can find no problems there, I think I eliminated the ign switch by pulling all the connectors and jumping the circuits which produces the same static pop as when the key is turned from on to run to start and back. I have a constant static hum when stereo is on, tried adding a ground from frame to harness ground but no change. The one puzzeling thing is the black/white stereo harness ground is good with no key but as soon as the key goes in the resistance goes to 5.0 and stays like that for about 10 seconds after the key is removed.:confused:
Any idea besides the obvious of taking it to the dealer?

#4 ·
Do you think you might be hearing the slow speed class 2 buss. Those would be the twisted pairs.
And do you hear the noise when in the CD mode? And I don't understand the 5? volts, ohms???

#5 ·
Not sure what I'm hearing? and I have not tried a cd yet. The Ground test reads .2 ohms from the stereo harness to the chassis ground post untill I insert the key, then goes to 5.0 ohms untill the key is removed and a 10 sec. wait then goes back to .2.
Just tried a cd and same static hum. I could almost live with the static hum but the popping when turning the key on and off is bad.
The static noise is heard on all left side speakers with the driver door being the loudest.
Thanks for the reply.

#6 ·
I am going to say the pop is because the amp is turned on from the class 2 buss and it should not be. Can you try another radio just for test? Will it pop when turning on the key even with the radio turned off?

#7 ·
Pops and static come with the chimes so radio does not have to be on for it to occur. The way I have killed the sound was to pull the amp fuse and that is nice with no chimes and no popping and no static but the problem is there's no radio.

#8 ·
But, the chime originates in the head unit. Part of the head unit is alive at all times, the chimes. The radio has 12volts on it at all times and the turn on whether radio or chime is done by the Class 2 buss.
Still think it would be good to test with another radio.

#10 ·
If you just plug the test unit, it will say locked, but it also will be alive for chime maybe that would give the test needed. Most audio shop can program the radio, if needed.

I see the Bose radios for sale on the forum at times.

#11 ·
Thanks, Ya I will keep my eye out for one, in the meantime I have snipped 2 left speaker out wires to the amp and all is good other than the high level sound to the driver door speaker is gone but gladly the chimes and all their trouble are gone.
This truck is slated for replacement next year and dumping too much money into it are not high on my to do list. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.