Diesel Place banner

De-fueled yesterday???

LLY: 
1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Shadow1 
#1 ·
My 2005 LLY de-fueled on me the other morning twice. I currently have a bad stepper motor on the Tach so it can read 2x-3x actual RPM's at times. Would the High RPM on the Tach cause the truck to de-fuel?

Story:
OK, I was running about an hour late to make it to the woods for opening day of gun season in Ohio. (slept through my alarm) Got 10 miles from the house and realized that in my hunting gear, that I have been using for bow hunting, I did not have my hunter orange vest.
The first time it did it was when I was accelerating around a corner and got on her a little hard. She stuttered, I left off the gass and got back into it and she took off. Then I was running around 80 and accelerated to pass someone and it de-fueled again. Let off the accelerator and she picked right back up and took off.

The CEL came on but went out later in the day, I have not had the chance to pull a code yet, will do that tomorrow. (currently wife has truck as I'm working on my girls car this evening)

#3 ·
It seems the first step is to change the fuel filter. I had a similar problem with only 500 miles on the filter. Replaced the filter and problem was solved. When I inspected the filter if was full of a very thick fuel. I must have got a bad load of fuel....never had a problem since....

#4 ·
I'm leaning towards the filter issue also. Its due to be changed this weekend when I do my oil.

Never had it happen before so it freaked me out a little.

#6 ·
Pulled the code it was a P0700?

#7 ·
The output of the tachometer (ie...needle position) has no feedback to the PCM. In other words, your failed stepper motor in the tachometer will NOT result in any codes or faults to the PCM.

#8 ·
You need a code reader than can see the transmission codes that set the P0700. P0700 tells you the transmission has stored codes.

When you get them post in the Allison forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.