Diesel Place banner

1994 gmc 6.5 td 3500

8K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  JLanzino 
#1 ·
Hello All I am looking at a 94 GMC Crew Cab Long Box 6.5 TD Dually with 380`000KM with a rebuilt IP And transmission. is there anything to look for on these diesels Im more of a 6.2 Mechanical non turbo guy so if the 6.5 TD`s could chime in

#2 ·
Whats Is the main problems on these engines?

Anything to look at before Buying?????

#3 ·
#4 ·
I understand that and already read it, I am looking for for personal ratings from current 6.5 owners on what they think of them

#5 ·
What do you mean by "personal rating"? We don't have access to the truck of interest.

May be you need to evaluate it and report it back to us based on the info from the link above.

There is also a Diagnostic Checklist in the FAQ that can be used to help you evaluate the health of the engine.

Then, it depends on the price.

#6 ·
Let me rephraise. To all 6.5 owners what do you guys think of these engines, good bad decent? Are they as good as the 6.2 or better what's the preformance like, what's the MPGs like? How do you like these engines?

#7 ·
Asking price for this truck is 1700 has rebuilt IP, recolated PMD, new tranny and transfer case, new box, steering componets, return lines, lift pump

#8 ·
At 1700 I'd take a chance on it. If you font like it you could part it out for double that.

Fwiw, I like mine, not impressive for towing heavy, but it gets the job done. For a dd, its perfect.

#9 ·
This engine can be reliable or not depending on the maintenance and applying some of the work arounds that is prescribed in this forum.

There is a wealth of knowledge to fix it in this forum and some other forum also.
The FAQ consists of a lot of knowledge that can be used to fix this truck.

Parts are fairly cheap compare to the Dmax or any other diesel.
Although, it is probably not the most powerful.

At any rate, like any other things some people like it while others hate it.
Some people have the good luck of finding one that is reliable while others are not.
Buying a used vehicle is a gamble but at $1700, I will take the chance.

#10 ·
Thanks for the warm reply`s I went down to look at the truck starts amazing cold, Crank & a half, & half crank warm so its amazing runs healthy drives nice very roomy & comfortable I like it & I think Im going to buy her. I noticed it has a K&N Filter instead of the tradtional air intake setup is K&N better or worse, should I go back to OEM, & she is straight piped, would it be better to put a muffler back on or leave it, I heard that if cold air goes up the exhaust it could warp warm heads??? is it true??

Looking forward to hear from you guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.