Diesel Place banner

Erratic Fuel Gauge

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  JMJNet 
#1 ·
When driving on rough roads with lots of turns or on steep hills the fuel gauge on my '95 GMC Sierra bounces all over the place as the fuel tank empties although it stabilizes on smooth straight roads. Should I assume that the fuel level sensor is at fault?

Bruce

#2 ·
That would be my first thought too. Mine acts crazy when it gets to a certain point on the gauge, but is usually quite accurate most of the time. The simple variable resistor used on the float assembly is usually the culprit. Until mine goes bad, I'll put up with a couple of minor defects.

Jake

#3 ·
Mine doesn't bounce around, but reads way over full for the first ~200 miles of the tank, then goes from actually reading full to almost empty in the next ~250 miles.

You can buy a new fuel sending unit for about $130 or so. It would be a good time to clean/replace or get rid of the tank sock too. (ensure you filter pre LP though)

#4 ·
The flapper is erratic. It uses similar to the one in the toilet with that bulb flapper.

No need to change the whole sending unit. PMDCable sells the replacement to the flapper only. It is a magnetic units, that goes up and down. Still have to take out the tank and the FSU.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.