Diesel Place banner

Howe diesel additive

7K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  dozerboy 
#1 ·
Has anyone used howes diesel additive? I just bougth a 2003 chevy 6.6L, the truck would smoke a little and run a little rough. I was at loves truck stop and seen like 5 or 6 truckers with it in there hands, so i asked 3 of them what they thought about it and if it really worked. All three of them told me that they could see and feel the differents in there trucks. I started running this additive in my truck and it has improved my millage +5, does not smoke anymore unless I really get on it, warms up in about 1/4 to 1/2 of a mile to normal operating temperature, O and the power in the truck has improved you can feel it when you put it to the floor. Not to say anything but I have had other chevy diesels and ran other additives, and non of them have worked as good and have been as good on the back pocket. BIG JOHN

#3 ·
moved to maintenance and fluids

#4 · (Edited)
I have used PS products for the bulk of my diesel life (last 25 years).

Recently though, I started using Howes because it was the cheaper of the two at my local farm supply store (found a great deal!).

I have not been able to quantify a true performance difference between Howes and PS and Stanadyne.

This summer, I pulled my travel trailer nearly 4k miles out to Yellowstone and back. I experimented with Howes, PS and such for different tank fulls. I even tried the two-stoke oil thing. There was not a really good consistent weather/road pattern, but regardless, my mileage didn't seem to waver much no matter what product I put in the tank. In short, they all performed about the same.

I personally look at the additives as something that is a smart thing to do, because lubricity is but one advantage of these multi-range products. They also address moisture, cetane, cleanliness, pour-point suppressents, etc.

But I also don't know that there is a clear "winner" among them. Yes, the lubricity study does have some interesting data, but it also ONLY addressed lubricity, and not any of the other attributes these products offer. Therefore, while one might be the "best" at lubricity, it may flounder at pour points, and we'd have NO idea, because the study does not address that issue. You cannot say that one is "better" than another when ONLY one characteristic is chosen. These products are multi-tasked, and very capable.

In that sense, I believe that all the major brands offer performance good enough to warrant their purchase, so I typically choose the least expensive. Howes, Power Service, Stanadyn and such all are easily attainable, and do a job well enough given all the topics they address.

#5 · (Edited)
Huh, intersting to know that DNewton is a fan of supplements. I wouldn't have guessed.

DNewton, did you try a tank or two with no additive, for control? Just wondering.

Personally, I occasionally buy a bottle of PS at Walmart every so often, probably every 3 months or whatever (I burn about a tank of diesel every 2 weeks for normal use). I can't claim to tell a difference in fuel mileage or engine operation. Used the last 1/3 of a bottle of PS on the way to Moab a few weeks back, came home w/o any additive in the tank. No perceptible difference towing, either.

Not sure why I buy the products -- makes me feel like I'm taking care of my baby, I guess. Same reason I buy the good ice cream for my wife every so often (that Gelato is expensive, but it makes her happy!).

#7 ·
I run Stanadyne every tank and 2 stroke on full tanks. I have thought about trying Howes since it is a quality product. I see roughly about a 5 % increase in MPG and the plus the other benefits.

#8 ·
howe's won't freeze in your cab in winter unlike stanadyne,
I have not used it personally, but read good things about em, I think they have a winter warranty if your fuel gels with their stuff in it :)

#9 ·
I gelled last year while using howes. After contacting them they asked for a fuel sample and some other info. According to them I had enough howes in the tank but they were not sure why I gelled. It was only -8 out....

I ended up getting a free case of howes.

#10 ·
Guess that's enough Howe's to not gel. Always had good luck with it way past-8 deg. and it costs less than lots of the comps. I double dose my tank though so maybe it helps alot.

#12 ·
Been using Howe's from start, never had any issues, not that it get's that cold here. I did notice that when I do forget to add after a fill up she smokes like a sob. After add ing 4-5 oz. no smoky..btw it came recomended from a friend otr driver.

#13 ·
I run a 2 stroke and bio mix, but in the winter when I go north I use Howes. It works great in bio my jug of B100 didn't gel, but I just dumped a bit in there so it was probably 10x more then the recommended dose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.