Diesel Place banner

Commercial Insurance Costs on 3500

10K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Drumaniac3000 
#1 ·
I was considering a new 2011 Chevy 3500 truck. I just found out I would need a Commercial drivers license to drive it because it is over 26K GVW. Was wondering what the price of Commercial insurance is on one. I live in CA and have a clean driving record.

#2 ·
You should be able to license it at either 24k or 25,999 and not require a commercial license or insurance.

Having it licensed and insured as commercial opens up an entire can of worms. Avoid it if you can.

#3 · (Edited)
I got a 08 duramax 3500hd and i was told that in CA you have to get commercial insurance either your commercial or just private, because its over than 10k gvwr......its the law in CA to have commercial insurance on 1 ton trucks 10gvwr or higher....thats what i was told......maybe somebody knows something else...please feel free

Leo

#4 ·
for what its worth it has a gcwr over 26000 the gvwr is 13000 so you should be able to drive it without a cdl unless you have a trailer over 10000, im not sure where you are at but id thoroughly read, investigate, and understand your state/province DOT laws

#5 ·
I have had commercial insurance on my trucks since I am a small business owner - trucks titled in my name/company name. No CDL required.

What I was shocked and relieved about was that it was only a $12 increase in a 6 month premium. Went from 07.5 LMM 2500 to '11 LML 3500.

#6 ·
From what I read the GCVW is 29,000 on the dually 3500 requiring a commercial class A license in CA. I currently own a F450 with a 26K GCVW work truck the insurance due to commercial was $3500 a year. If truck requires CDL you eat it on insurance. Just sold my dump truck that was a GCVW of 26K because insurance costs.

#8 ·
For the Dually its gcvw is 29,200 pounds requiring CDL to drive.

#11 ·
You guys are confusing CGVWR with GVWR. The GVWR is the rating of the truck itself and thats what you register it at, 13,000lbs

#13 ·
With a Noncommercial Class B License:
  • any vehicles under Class C
  • any housecar over 40' but not over 45', with endorsement
With a Basic Class C License:
  • a 2-axle vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less
  • a 3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or less gross
  • a motorized scooter
  • any housecar 40' or less
Looks like a 3500 is no problem

#14 ·
Moved to Towing.

#16 · (Edited)
sorry my friend, but your wrong too....! in CA, ANY trailer rated OVER 10K required a class A (non-commercial or commercial, depending on your use)!! And any GCVWR/GVWR OVER 26K requires cdl. but only a class B if not towing a trailer over 10K

remember...... ANY trailer rated over 10k REGARDLESS if it is loaded or empty, if its hooked up to your truck, it requires Class A!

#20 ·
I think your missing the point of the information on the vehicle decals.
On the driver's door jam for the truck, and the left front corner of the trailer.

Empty or loaded to the vehicle limit, the max on the decals tell the tale. And dictate the license required.

Use a class 8 to pull a empty utility trailer, weights about 22,000 (under 26,000) but the decals and the registration say much more.....CDL required.

#21 ·
I think your missing the point of the information on the vehicle decals.
On the driver's door jam for the truck, and the left front corner of the trailer.

Yes, the truck's GVWR on the sticker (13,000 lb) and the trailer GVWR (10k in the bumper pull case or 13k in the fifth wheel case) would be the weights to go by. My point was to say that the truck could be driven empty without a CDL because of its individual GVWR. Also, it could be used to pull a trailer without a CDL, it wouldn't be close to what the truck was capable of but still legal.

Empty or loaded to the vehicle limit, the max on the decals tell the tale. And dictate the license required.

Agreed

Use a class 8 to pull a empty utility trailer, weights about 22,000 (under 26,000) but the decals and the registration say much more.....CDL required.
Yes, but the Class 8 would be rated higher from the factory so it automatically qualifies for a CDL (>26k GVWR) when compared to the LML. Isn't a standard ten wheel tractor rated for 46k GVWR and when coupled to a standard eight wheel trailer (34k GVWR) rated for 80k GCWR. I understand what you mean regarding the sticker weights being the ones that count.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.