Diesel Place banner

I need a glow plug puller

5K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  simon651 
#1 ·
Anyone have a link where I can purchase a glow plug puller? I was lookin for the two piece threaded socket type.

#2 ·
Dont they just screw out?

#5 ·
go in the facts, look under glow plug, there's a link on removing them

#6 ·
I've not heard of a glow plug removal tool. At least, GM didn't release a special service tool in those years.

I use a small vise-grip and a short pry bar. And lots of penetrating oil..........and lots of patience! Lube, twist back and forth, pry up easy, twist, etc...........repeat the above.

#7 ·
I have 1 I will try to rember to check the PN on it

It is a Kent Moore Tool

#8 ·
Even with glow plugs that weren't swollen it can be hard to get the plugs out. Unless you exhausted all the patience you have soaking it with penetrating oil and working it slowly back and forth to work it out, then i'd recommend just putting some more time into it.

I had alot of carbon or soot build up that kept my glow plugs from coming out easily. I spent upwards of 20 minutes on some just slowly and carefully working them and spraying them with liquid wrench.

#9 ·
#10 ·
You can remove the fuel injector snap the swollen tip off and remove it through the open injector hole if you drop it a pencil magnet will get it out of the chamber. Some guys use a needle nose pliers and some use a flat screw driver hit it a few times with hammer turn the glow plug hit the screw driver a few more times and turn the glow plug back until you break it off then remove it with a pencil magnet!!.....Simon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.