Propane vs Kerosene Forced Induction Heater Help - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Other Topics > Shop Talk
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

Shop Talk Discuss everything in your shop/garage including tools, machines, layout, etc.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2005, 03:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
TxDoc
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Propane vs Kerosene Forced Induction Heater Help

Building a 2400 sq foot shop. Part has offices/shower, etc. and will have central heat and air.

About 2200 sq feet is not heated or cooled. I am looking at either a propane or kerosene forced induction heater, like a torpedo, for occaisional use as we are fairly okay most of the year. But, would be nice to be able to work inside and be warm when you want to.

I have used neither one. I was told that in a closed area that kerosene heater gives you a headache, and that when turned up, a propane burns a lot of gas. I was told to fill a 100 pound propane tank is about $50, or so. 5 gallons of kerosene is about $30 at Tractor Supply, and can get it else where cheaper.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/P...00178724&R=200178724 is what I am leaning towards with a 100 pound tank.

Not sure if I am better off with the larger one and or the smaller one of 50,000 to 85,000 BTU model to use less fuel, but have to run at a higher setting? Or go with the 75,000 to 125,000 BTU model and run a lower end setting?

Any suggestions or warnings or likes, or dislikes, or whatever is welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2005, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
rolloffhill
Diesel Master

Lone Star Diesels Member

I would go with Propane, It isn't gonna stink up the shop like Kerosene.

If you get a bigger, tank you can get a price break on the gas, IIRC it is over 200 gallons when the price drops. I have a 350g tank and fill it once a year to run 2 heaters in my shop.

I have one like this and a 2x,000 BTU Dearborn with a fan on it attached to a 100# tank. I just fill the 100# off of my 350 whenever it runs out.

Check out www.teksupply.com they have a good selection.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have the IR heater and one like this one .

Regardless orf which one it is, if you insulate it, any heater will be better, I am not a fan of the torpedo ones, they are very noisy.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2005, 01:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Drywall1
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I just bought a LB white propane heater that I use on my job sites (little tough fingering through nails when your hand is numb) It's a 115,000 btu rated heater that has a thermostat on it and it comes with 10' of hose and a regulator to go right into a 100# bottle. The heater is small and easily moved when not using it. It was 600.00 at a farm supply house. Let me know if you need any more info. Nate
Old 12-12-2005, 01:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Drywall1
Diesel Technician

Hey rolloffhill I have that very heater (the hot dawg)in my house garage. It works great! 75 or 80,000 btu for like 450 installed. But that was in '99'
Old 12-12-2005, 01:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
FireandFleet
Diesel Technician

Well here is what I have and what I have had in the past.

I changed over to http://www.reddyheat.com/products/r60.html from ready heater becouse it will burn diesel.

I had a Mr. Heater and it would flame out when I would burn diesel.

I first bought a http://www.reddyheat.com/products/rcp80v.html with a 100lb cly but on high this little dude will burn up a 100lb cyl in 10 hours and working on the road it is hard to find lp when u need it.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel_Day_Dreamin
Diesel Master

DelMarVa Diesel Club Member

Sorry to chime in late... Be-friend your local heating and air conditioning contractor. I get oil fired, forced hot air units out of houses from a buddy. They have cracked fire box(es), but make GREAT garage heaters! Mine heats my garage from 25°F to 75°F in about 25 minutes. NOTHING beats working on your truck in short sleeves when it's 25° outside. I even burn my used motor oil in mine. It will run on kerosene, diesel, home heating oil or used motor oil. I do cut my used motor oil with kerosene. Some oils are too thick to spray through the nozzel. I found a thermostat that goes down to 35°. Great to leave on for "freeze protection". My garage is just over 1000 square feet, less than half of what you are heating. A house heater should bring your shop up to temperature in a half hour to 45 minutes if it's insulated well.

I have the propane torpedo heater (85,000 btu), and after a while you get light headed. I think because it uses up alot of oxygen when in use. The kerosene ones got me sick.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
minisub
Diesel Master

Northeastern Ohio Diesel Crew Member

In addition to the noise, a propane fired torpedo (any unvented heater really) will put a lot of moisture into the room. I spent about 5 hours in the garage on Sunday (teens outside) with 2, 175,000 btu burners going all day and everything was dripping wet by the end of the day.

Old 12-20-2005, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
tess tickle
Diesel Fanatic

I have 2 heaters in my 1100 sq ft garage.An electric 220 volt ,6000 watt thermastatic controlled and a kerosine torpedo type .When its 0 degrees out ,I'll turn on the torpedo for ten minutes or so ,to get it to 70 degrees then the electric will more than keep up from there.The electric heater ,I leave on the rest of the time just to keep the temps above freezing when I'm not working out there .I wouldn't recommend the torpedo style for full time use,smelly and noisey . Just for thought though,electricity and used oil are cheap also.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.