Homemade torsion bar tool - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Other Topics > Shop Talk
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Shop Talk Discuss everything in your shop/garage including tools, machines, layout, etc.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
stocker
Self Ignition

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Homemade torsion bar tool

I'm getting ready to put a lift kit on my truck and didn't have a torsion bar tool. Well, after seeing that they go for over $100.00, I set about making one with an old 6" C-clamp I had. Cut the flat part off the threaded rod and welded on a 15/16 nut on the other end, then welded a piece of a bolt to the upper end of the clamp. The bolt holds the clamp firmly on the crossmember and the tit on the end of the threaded rod fits the indention on the key perfectly. Total cost = zero.

I'm sure this has probably been done before. What to you think?

TxC Cold Air Intake. EGR blocker plate. Pinnacle Power 4" exhaust. Diablosport Predator 2.02 on 40hp. Fumoto oil drain valve. Nicktane fuel filter. BD exhaust manifold. Isspro Pyrometer and Boost. Line-X bedliner. Tekonsha P3 trailer brake controller. Cognito 4" lift. Cognito HD tie rods. Chrome H2s. 35x12.5x17 Hankook MTs. Bilstein 5100s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2007, 12:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
packratt
Diesel Head

DelMarVa Diesel Club Member

1998 Chevy K3500 Dually Silverado extended cab, 4x4, Tangiers Orange (soon to be another color when I can find the money) w/grey interior, 6.5 TD ("F" code engine), Heath Turbomaster, NV4500 through G80 4.10 rear, ZOOM High Performance Clutch, Bilstein shocks, apprx. 260,000 miles 215/85R16

Proud member #427 of the 3500 Dually Club
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2007, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dmax Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by packratt View Post

????????????????

he has a pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
HDpullingpower
Diesel Legend

DelMarVa Diesel Club Member

Looks good...hope the welds don't break under load...bad things would happen. Good luck with it.
1970 SS454 Monte Carlo
Boss VXT RT3 8.2 V plow
Member # 70 A(ACLU) Grim Reaper
Agent Wood Shampoo
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." - Ronald Reagan, 40th President
Old 12-03-2007, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
brandon04lb7
Diesel Starter

worked for me...pretty much the same setup
Blisten Shocks
Dual 4" Exhaust
Dual Fuel Filter
Old 12-22-2007, 09:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tolliwacker
Diesel Mythbuster

Armed Forces Club Member

How much torque is required to release the tension to get the keys out?
2003 Crewcab 4X4 with the EGR Valve (Blocked), Killed the Cat, and straight piped the muffler, boost and EGT Gauges, Merchant Automotive T-case pump upgrade installed, Curb Feelers, Fuzzy Dice, and Billet Grill. This truck is like a sore pecker, I just can't beat it!
Remember, it ain't broke till you can't fix it anymore!
2 Things I fear for my Guns, Rust and Politicians...I can control the Rust, I need help with the Politicians!
"The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it."
When the people fear the government it is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people it is LIBERTY!

20 Year member of Uncle Sam's Finest, USAF Retired!
US Constitution in English, Bill of Rights in English, If you do not want to speak English, feel free to return to the Craphole of a Country you left behind.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
stocker
Self Ignition

That tool I made didn't work for me. Started bending and twisting, so I backed it off and spent the $ for a real torsion bar tool.

Tolliwacker, those things are in there tight. My 1/2 inch air impact was working hard.
TxC Cold Air Intake. EGR blocker plate. Pinnacle Power 4" exhaust. Diablosport Predator 2.02 on 40hp. Fumoto oil drain valve. Nicktane fuel filter. BD exhaust manifold. Isspro Pyrometer and Boost. Line-X bedliner. Tekonsha P3 trailer brake controller. Cognito 4" lift. Cognito HD tie rods. Chrome H2s. 35x12.5x17 Hankook MTs. Bilstein 5100s.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tolliwacker
Diesel Mythbuster

Armed Forces Club Member

10/4, good enough explaination for me!
2003 Crewcab 4X4 with the EGR Valve (Blocked), Killed the Cat, and straight piped the muffler, boost and EGT Gauges, Merchant Automotive T-case pump upgrade installed, Curb Feelers, Fuzzy Dice, and Billet Grill. This truck is like a sore pecker, I just can't beat it!
Remember, it ain't broke till you can't fix it anymore!
2 Things I fear for my Guns, Rust and Politicians...I can control the Rust, I need help with the Politicians!
"The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it."
When the people fear the government it is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people it is LIBERTY!

20 Year member of Uncle Sam's Finest, USAF Retired!
US Constitution in English, Bill of Rights in English, If you do not want to speak English, feel free to return to the Craphole of a Country you left behind.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
ASCTLC
Diesel Starter

I tried that on my 1/2 ton once. Same results as Stocker. I couldn't imagine what 3/4 ton torsion bar pressure would do. In my opinion, that skinny C-clamp method is far more risk than the money saved could ever hope to justify. Even if only used once.

Andy
Old 12-28-2007, 05:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
olboy82
Diesel Apprentice

Illinois Diesel Power (IDP) Member

I have swapped out the keys on a few trucks before, and I would recommend getting a torsion bar unloading tool, there is a hell of a lot of stress on the keys but you can try and use that c-clamp contraption, but be careful, i'm sure it's gonna bend and twist and when it does give, watch out!

2015 GMC Sierra Denali HD CCSB LML 7-30-14 to 1-5-17 8,000 miles

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD CCSB LBZ 9-15-05 to 7-30-14 32,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in