Diesel Place banner

Roof mounted wing for towing . . .

7K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  riverdog 
#1 ·
I've been looking for a wing for the roof of my truck to help with fuel mileage while towing my 36' GN car trailer. So far, I haven't had much luck finding anything that looks decent. Do any of you have any suggestions on where I might look??

Thanks!!

#5 ·
Thanks guys. As far as having a wing made, that'd only handle the easy part, mounting it is a completely different trick. :)

#6 ·
I don't have any personal experience with a wing, but I did haul RV's and talked to drivers who had purchased wings trying to improve mileage. I never found one who thought it was worth the investment. And if you don't remove them your mileage when not towing suffers more than the towing mileage improves.

#7 ·
they actually make a wing that requires no drilling. i posted a thread just like this awhile ago. alot of people said it pretty much doesnt help your mpg that much.

#8 ·
#11 ·
DURAMAX3500: Which wing is that? Do you have a link to it or to your old thread? I've heard mixed reviews as well, but they're supposed to help with windy situations too, which I encounter often going through the desert.

Bansheezz: I've seen those, but with the height and frontal area of my trailer, I think that'd have even less of a chance of working than a full-sized wing.

Bperez180: It's an aerodynamic bandaid to help with the drag from pulling a large, high-profile trailer.

#12 ·
Maybe on a big rig where they drive a million miles a year and they have 500 trucks out there will they see some savings. I think once you figure the cost of the 'wing'and how much you will save verses just getting less fuel mileage you will probobly be better off getting less fuel mileage.Hook up, floor it, and have a good time.

#13 ·
Can't really say that making a wing for my gooseneck help the mileage(never checked). The way the trailer handled was worth every penny. It just plain pulled easier like night and day difference after putting up wing. I would have to agree that it made a big difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.