Diesel Place banner

Lift cab to replace body mounts?

31K views 42 replies 10 participants last post by  Ramblinrodney 
#1 ·
I am considering purchasing the Energy suspension body mounts for my 06. What is a safe and easy way to lift the cab enough to replace the mounts?

#2 ·
Anyone

#3 ·
When I do them, I simply loosen all the cab mounts on one side enough that I can jack the cab up at least 1/4", then I completely remove the bolt at the mount I'm servicing.

#5 ·
Where do you jack the cab up at?

#4 ·
Thanks. Ive had someone else tell me that also.

#6 ·
Well I got my new body mounts from Energy suspension, now I just need to figure out how to jack up cab without tearing anything up. Any help?

#8 ·
If you put a chunk of 4x4 on a floor jack it "should" be good to put the jack anywhere underneath. If you have a bad floor I'd reconsider doing the mounts.Just remember to only do one side at a time and only jack up as high as you need. Good time to coat the cab mount bolts in anti seize incase you want to tear into it down the road as well or want to install nurf / step tubes. Watch your fingers.

#9 ·
If you put a chunk of 4x4 on a floor jack it "should" be good to put the jack anywhere underneath.
X2
Floor jack and 4x4's to support the cab. Don't raise it anymore than necessary and you should be good...

#10 ·
Should I go almost the whole lenght of the cab with the 4x4 or what?

#11 ·
Anyone?

#12 · (Edited)
Just run a strap though the open door windows, and use a come-a-long attached to the ceiling beam to lift it off.;)

Seriously, the cab weighs next to nothing compared to the whole truck. Do like I said above, and use a Tall floor jack with a piece of wood on top. You can lift the body from the underside anywhere that you see a reinforcement. Seat belts are always anchored in a reinforced section.

#13 ·
And I take it the energy mounts install the same way? and I torque to same specs? the directions are almost non existent.

#14 ·
I put some upgraded body mounts on mine, not the same brand as yours. The torque was 55 ft/lbs. I used a 4x4 piece of wood about 18 inches long (i think). I placed the wood on a large rivet head (about 1' diameter head). And I loosened the front mounts enough to have enough room the slide the old and new mounts in and out

#15 ·
Do you like the result of the updated mounts?

#17 ·
Well I got the passenger side in. Tried to jack the drivers up and bent the body in 2 places!!! really pissed about that!!

Where exactly should I jack up on drivers side?

#18 · (Edited)
OK I really needs your guys help. I have bent the drivers side where I attempts to jack in 2 places. Are you guys sure it is OK to jack directly on the floor? I jacked up the passengers side on a support not directly on the floor and it didnt bend near like the drivers side did. I have all but the drivers A pillar done. The drivers side seems have something that is blocking me pulling the mount out and requiring me to jack it higher.

This is really pissing me off, never again will I attempt something like this. lol

#19 ·
Well I got it thanks guys!

#20 ·
How was the improvement on your truck?

#21 ·
I have not even driven it since I put them in. I will post a update next week.

#22 ·
Ride is much better, alot more firm and precise. Where they really shine is in cornering. I was amazed how the truck felt solid around a corner.

#26 ·
Do you still get a clunking noise when turning left? Can they be used with nerf bars? How are the road vibrations and bumps are they worse or better? Please let me know I really what these bushings soon.

Why did you ask about road vibrations, have you heard they are worse or better with poly body mounts?

#24 · (Edited)
Ive only driven it 20 miles but i was turning hard left to see if I could get it to pop and I could not. I dont see why they could not be used with nerf bars.

I think I can feel a little more road vibrations in the floor becaues I think it is coming thru the better material of the mounts, but it is not a big deal.

#25 ·
POP when turning is gone!

#28 ·
the frame beaming problem?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.