Diesel Place banner

Stock battery life

3K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  rtquig 
#1 ·
I sure it will be a mistake to ask, but what is the average life of stock batteries? I am going on 4 years and feel like I am on borrowed time.

#3 ·
Still have one stock Delco in my 04. I think the passenger battery boiled over and the previous owner just replaced that one and left the factory Delco in on the main battery.

#4 ·
mine went 2 years but 84,000 miles

#5 ·
4 Years and 68,000 on mine

#6 ·
Have them load tested if you're in doubt.

#8 ·
4 years and the delcos went

#9 ·
almost 4 years on mine, 65,000 miles still going

#10 ·
Moved to Electrical.

#11 ·
I have 3.5 years on mine and they are still strong. The lifespan of your batteries will depend on a lot of factors. Standard auto batteries do not take well to being fully discharged or overheated, either of which will shorten their lives. If you use a desulfating charger on them ocassionally, you may squeeze some extra time out of them, since sulfate buildup on the plates will weaken them.

#14 ·
A batteries life is all about discharge cycles. So for example a daily driver that never really sees much of a discharge cycle is likely to last much longer than one that sits for weeks at a time allowing it to self discharge and then followed by short trips thus never getting a full charge will last much much sorter.

I have heard plenty talk about getting less then 2 years and I just replace a set of batteries last year that made it 10 years.

Like heymccall said, the only way to know for sure is to do a load test.

#15 ·
The batteries in my truck (in sig) just gave up the ghost w/ over 140k on them. :mad:
I'm pretty sure it's only because she sat the whole winter in the garage. It was a really cold one this year and with 5 months of sitting there w/o any use, I'm not surprised by it..... Not happy about it but not surprised either.

#16 ·
The batteries in my truck (in sig) just gave up the ghost w/ over 140k on them. :mad:
I'm pretty sure it's only because she sat the whole winter in the garage. It was a really cold one this year and with 5 months of sitting there w/o any use, I'm not surprised by it..... Not happy about it but not surprised either.
The one thing I can never preach enough is if you are going to leave your truck for a few weeks or more without use then invest in a float charger. You can buy them for as little as 20 bucks and that is a whole lot less then the price of two batteries, plus the piece of mind that when you return to the truck you can turn the key and be on your way. Same goes for your RV or boat. On my boat I have $1000 worth of batteries, the last set lasted me 10 years, primary because they where always floated when not in use.

#17 ·
As you see already you will get varying replys as to how long these batteries last. From my reading here on the DP you will get answers anywhere from 2 to 7 years.

Currently my originals Delco's are 6 years and 4 months old and for the last year or so I've been keeping a Battery Tender Junior on them.

#19 · (Edited)
mine went out winter of 09 then. but had 155000 on it.

#20 ·
Changed mine out at 5.5 years, but they were still good, just felt it was the time to replace before winter. If you look at a typical battery chart of the U.S. batteries have a estimated life depending on where you live in the country. The southern states (heat) are hardest on a battery, and have the shortest lifespan and up north they last longer. Typical battery life is 4-5 years, but some people get 6-7 and others 2-3 depening on region. If you live up norht, putting a larger guage battery cables will increase the life of a battery and allow for quicker winter starts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.