Diesel Place banner

Range Shift Inhibitor

8K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  dirtylb7 
#1 · (Edited)
Range Shift Inhibitor has been showing up lately. My little line under the gear I'm in, doesn't always show up. And my door locks do not unlock when put in park like they use to. Now my check engine light stays on. Anyone have any clues or comments before I bring it to a mechanic.

#2 ·
NSBU switch----Charlie

#4 ·
You'll will have to be more specific. What is the NSBU Switch, were is it located, and how do you adjust it just right. Can you get one at Auto parts store or would it be cheaper to order online.

#5 ·
See my post in the "Allison OEM" section - NSBU Instructions and FAQ - which I posted on this past weekend when I changed my NSBU switch. I've included pics as well.

Should answer your questions. Maybe mod's will make it a sticky as the NSBU comes up on a regular basis.

Cheers,

#6 ·
wow.cool. 2 pages in and i have found the exact topic i was looking for! Anyway, i too am experienceing the same symptoms except for one thing. when i shift into or out of p,r,n or any forward gears there is a distinct un setteling clunking noise that iminates from the tranny. would this mean something more? or does this sound like a result of the switch being bad?

#7 ·
Moved to Allison OEM.

#8 ·
it's possible but they all have a slight clunking noise , if it is very profound , I would check the u-joints first. charlie

#11 ·
Change the NSBU switch and clear any codes. You will likely solve your problems. Be sure to order the correct part number switch for your '04 (One of the stickies had the numbers swapped at the beginning of the post.) Not sure if it was ever corrected.
Part #'s are correct in my sticky...I changed out my NSBU a couple of weeks ago. I think I have the pt no on the end of the box on one of the pics for my LB7. If in doubt, the dealership will verify the pt # depending on the year of the vehicle.

#13 ·
I changed the NSBU switch and eveything works the way it should. But my check engine light stays on. Should the light have turned off with the change of the new switch. I hooked up my Programer and cleared some codes.

#14 ·
Just clear the codes it set when it was bad and you should be good.

I just changed mine and the symptoms are still there. Reverse takes FOREVER to get into, and it seems like it has to "fall" into drive. (wish i had a ZF-6) lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.