Diesel Place banner

2015 Exhaust end removal question

10K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  AXE 
#1 ·
Hello to all,

I have a bone stock 2015 Chevy, and so far I am loving everything about it except one thing....the bazooka end on the exhaust. I have no desire to replace the entire exhaust, I just want to cut the last two feet or so off and replace with a chrome end, possible a dual outlet looking one like what is on the Fords. Would I cause any problems by cutting if off myself and attaching a new chrome shorter end to it? I have heard that Chevy has it like that for a reason, something to do with figuring out when to go into regen or something like that. Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
It's to help cool the exhaust temp when doing a regen. Depends on the dealer I suppose if they wanted to be anal about "tampering with emission components" if you had any kind of issues. I'm not a fan of the tip, but it is not the trumpet shape of the earlier years, just a straight piece of pipe, but a nicer tip directed more out the side does look nicer.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have no desire to do anything that would possibly void the warranty, it is a purely aesthetic reason to getting rid of the end. I don't think I have ever seen a stock Chevy with the end replaced, so I guess there is a good reason for it. Thanks again for the reply.

#4 ·
without that tip on, the exhaust gas is very very hot hot enough for Gm to say it will dmamage the paint. it's plenty hot even with the tip on.

I to would like to find a slip on stainless cover. I've looked high and low and haven' found one,

#5 ·
I put a MBRP stainless exhaust tip over mine. I got the 5 inch inlet and 6 inch out let...it will slip on till the vent...MBRP T5125 T304 Stainless Steel 5" Inlet 18" Length 6" Outer Diameter Angled. I did cut the exhaust tip back about 5 inches and now it doesn't show as bad out the 6 inch end...hope this helps.

#7 ·
Reactions: callie454
#8 ·
I've seen guys polish the stock tip to make it look a little better as well.

#9 · (Edited)
Yesterday, a friend of mine with a 2015 Silverado, got the shop to chop off the pipe behind the DPF and then they fabricated a new 4" pipe that exits ahead of the rear wheel...no fancy "air-flow" tip of any kind; just the 4" pipe.

I mentioned that they should probably have added some sort of air-flow end, but he's not worried about excess heat as the pipe is at least 4" away from anything in that area. The shop reckons that because the exhaust gases have less distance to travel to get "out", that they won't be as hot!! Sounds a bit strange to me....... I hope he's right!

#10 ·
Yesterday, a friend of mine with a 2015 Silverado, got the shop to chop off the pipe behind the DPF and then they fabricated a new 4" pipe that exits ahead of the rear wheel...no fancy "air-flow" tip of any kind; just the 4" pipe.

I mentioned that they should probably have added some sort of air-flow end, but he's not worried about excess heat as the pipe is at least 4" away from anything in that area. The shop reckons that because the exhaust gases have less distance to travel to get "out", that they won't be as hot!! Sounds a bit strange to me....... I hope he's right!
Um yeah....I sure hope it doesn't get to the tire!

#12 · (Edited)
Originally Posted by Roachie View Post

Tell him to try holding his hand 4" away from something with a temp of 1200 degrees, especially above it, as the paint on the side of his truck will be when sitting at a stop light or in a traffic jam.

As for less distance to travel, that makes absolutely no sense at all. The further they travel, the more they will cool down. The closer to the source of the heat they are, they hotter they will be.

Sounds like your friend (sorry) and the shop are a match made in heaven - NOT.

Reactions: TiredFarmer
#13 ·
During a regeneration the exhaust gas coming out of the DPF can be over 1,250 degs F, (700 degs C). If you have removed the cooling venturi, and happen to stop at a traffic light during a regen, a person walking past the end of the exhaust pipe will be severely burned.

This is a VERY serious issue. Even with the venturi in place, the exhaust gasses leaving the pipe during regenerations can melt or damage the plastic front panel of a fifth wheel trailer in tow if there is not much gap between truck and trailer.

If you remove the venturi and take the pipe out the side of the truck you are taking a HUGE risk of causing serious damage and/or fires.

#14 ·
I had a forced regen at the dealer and was parked 6 + feet from a chain link fence with those privacy inserts and they melted! a forced regen is different but 4" will not be enough ? Banks makes a tail pipe with the cooling deal built into it.

#15 ·
I had a forced regen at the dealer and was parked 6 + feet from a chain link fence with those privacy inserts and they melted! a forced regen is different but 4" will not be enough ? Banks makes a tail pipe with the cooling deal built into it.
Should have taken some hot dogs out and grilled them during the regen! :hehe:

Reactions: IGO1320
#17 ·
Thanks for all the responses fellas......confirms what I thought and I've conveyed this info on to my friend.

He says he's gunna just leave it as is and see what happens. We can't do more than tell him the facts and then let him make his own mistakes I guess.

Not that it matters, but he has removed the factory tub and replaced with a canopy similar to the one on my truck; it's all steel, so no plastic to get damaged on the truck, but the response above that mentioned melting plastic on a fence several feet away is a real concern!!!

#18 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the responses fellas......confirms what I thought and I've conveyed this info on to my friend.

He says he's gunna just leave it as is and see what happens. We can't do more than tell him the facts and then let him make his own mistakes I guess.

Not that it matters, but he has removed the factory tub and replaced with a canopy similar to the one on my truck; it's all steel, so no plastic to get damaged on the truck, but the response above that mentioned melting plastic on a fence several feet away is a real concern!!!
Yeah. It's not that hot all the time, only during regeneration. Just don't park next to him. :HiHi:

#19 ·
I cut off about 8" of my stock pipe and slid on a MBRP tip. It buts up against the stock air venturi, so it works the same. The exhaust tip sits just to the back edge of the fender. It hasn't caused any issue with my bumper plastic or the fender so it seems to work just fine. When mine is in regen, I don't think the temps are that hot, but definitely warm up over normal.

The black tip has faded some and looks a little more like a matte finish now. It could easily be recoated and it would stay looking fresh. I think this big tip looks better after the lift, but the picture below was just before my lift.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-speciality-forums/82-exterior/608217-2015-accessories-2.html

#22 · (Edited)
Hmmmmmmmmmm.........that's weird..............when I installed my MBRP tip my truck remained horizontal. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Dave E
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.