LB7: MBRP downpipe install help - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Power, Performance & Tuning > Fuel System, Air, Exhaust, & Emissions Upgrades
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
GreyFox1981
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

MBRP downpipe install help

I finally got the time to try and change the downpipe on my LB7 duramax today but I'm having a hell of a time getting any of the bolts loose. I sprayed it twice today with some PB Blast and I've called it quits for the day. I tried using a small cheater bar and my 3/8" drive but no luck. It seems like I have to use a 12mm 12 point socket. The 6 point wouldn't fit.

Anyone have any tips besides just keep at it? I tried a little heat before I used the on blast but almost burned my truck up. I didn't realize the fabric on the firewall isn't fireproof. The yellow insulation stuff caught fire a little and burned up. I'm not going to be able to use a torch on all the bolts though.

I was thinking about taking it to a garage and asking them to do it but I don't know what they'd say/charge.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
dieseldan723
Diesel Master

I had a similar issue when I installed mine. After the PB Blaster sat overnight they came right off. Hopefully you will have the same thing happen. It's frustrating but don't give up. YOU CAN DO IT! And you will feel much better about it knowing you stuck it out to the end.

AAAA #10
P.O.T. Club #1 (Pre Obama Truck Club)

SOLD - 2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT CC SB 4X4
SOLD - 2008 Chevy 3500HD LTZ CCLB Dually 4X4
Retired member #944 of The 3500 Dually Club
SOLD - Cardinal 33TBH

www.madjacksynthetics.com
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
GreyFox1981
Diesel Technician

That's what I read about trying to get other bolts out...let it sit overnight. Pub blast is supposed to be the best so we'll see what happens.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
GreyFox1981
Diesel Technician

Sprayed the hell out of it and heated the turbo around the bolt for about 3 min and the top right bolt still won't budge. My wrench bends pretty good but that's about it. I'm gonna get a can of CRC Freeze Off tomorrow and try it again.

I sprayed the bolt, heated it up, sprayed it while it was still hot and nothing moves.

If only I could just pull the whole dang motor out...

Old 07-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
GreyFox1981
Diesel Technician

Anybody have any tips or know how to get the bottom, right bolt out. The one closest to the tranny. I got the other 3 bolts out fairly easy with freeze off, a 2 foot piece of pipe and the use of my come along winch. I just can't figure out how the hell you do that last bolt...it's almost impossible to get the ratchet on.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
GreyFox1981
Diesel Technician

Ok...the worst is over. Got the last bolt from the passenger side wheel well. New downpipe went on smoothly and I got all the bolts as tight as I can get them...now if I could only get this tranny dipstick back in. This thing is worse than trying to get the bolts out.

They were bolts...I could understand them being tight but I can't figure out why this dang thing won't go back in. It needs to go up a 1/4 inch but I just can't get it. I'm ready to hack that 1/4 off and say f-it!

Old 07-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
OIL99
Diesel Technician

Lots of people cut some of the dipstick tube off. It can be a real bear for some while others have no problem. I bent mine a bit wrestling with it so it took some massaging to get back in properly. Next time I'd cut it and be done. Oh and I'd also just remove it from the start rather than thinking I'm "special" and could work around it. Good luck!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
GreyFox1981
Diesel Technician

Thanks. I did get mine back in after 2 hours of struggling with it. I used a screw driver and pushed up on the lip and got it to go high enough to slide back in. Getting the bolts back on was near impossible. I only got one part way on and somewhat tight. It should hold though.

I have to finish putting my exhaust back together now so I can actually hear the difference. It was late when I got the dipstick back in and didn't want my neighbors bothered by my cursing and banging.

Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement