AirdogII 165 or 100? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Power, Performance & Tuning > Fuel System, Air, Exhaust, & Emissions Upgrades
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dirtdogg118
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

AirdogII 165 or 100?

I bought a AirdogII DF-165 a while back and I'm getting ready to have it installed, when I decided to read a little on the Airdog website. According the the FAQs on their site,the 100 is for up to 500HP, and the 165 is for up to 800 HP. It says the 165 may do damage to a truck having under 500 HP. Now my truck is mostly stock with the basic mods(cold air, exhaust, EFI live), maybe pushin 400 HP on the highest setting. Is the 165 over kill and am I going to damage my injector pump by running it? According to their website I will in time! Anyone heard of any problems running a bigger than needed Airdog system? Also I thought the AirdogII has a adjustable PSI setting to account for this?
2002 Chevrolet Silverado, 151K miles 6" RCD lift, 35" Toyos, 20" XD Strikes, EFI Live from Duramaxtuner.com, K&N cold air intake, MBRP 4" Exhaust, Airdogg2 165, Cognito UCAs, Cognito tie rods, Moog ball joints, Auto Meter gauges, MBRP exhaust, MBRP downpipe, Pro Fab intake horn, PPE manifolds, PPE up pipes, Built Tranny by Mike L.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
duradrift13
Diesel Fanatic

the 165 for sure then. you'll love it, best thing ive done to my truck, runs so much better with it
05 Sierra 2500hd SLT- 4094vvt(turbo), built trans, t-case pump rub kit, ARP studs and c gaskets, Pcv reroute, egr blocked, afe turbo mouthpiece, 4 inch mbrp turbo back exhaust, 3 inch downpipe, Air dog 2 165, 6k HID's heads, fogs, and in the DRL's, 5% tint, EFI Live, autometer ultra-lite 2 gauges, air raid cold air, a viper remote start and alarm with smart start, a custom ported box with a L7 powered by a kicker dx 1000.1, added some pioneer 4inch in the doors as well infinity kappa components all the way around powered by 2 kicker dx 400.4 with all tsunami wiring, pioneer 940bt with back up cam, and 20x9 BMF Novakane's death metal black, N-FAB steps, zone lift with fox shocks, rare parts tie rods, cognito support braces, 35 toyo MTs.

Big thanks to david at Diesel Technology Source
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 01:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dmax1989
Diesel Master

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

I dont know how it could, you have a adjustment for your pressure and whatever isnt used by the engine goes back to the tank through the fill spout. I had a 165 in my lly and i didnt notice any fuel system reliability issues.
2006 gmc sierra 2500hd ccsb, loaded except dvd, PPE standard set on lvl 2, banks ram air intake, magnaflow downpipe, Autometer Cobalt boost & pyro, 4" exhaust, lml drivers side exhaust manifold, riveted headgaskets, ppe fprv shim, egr deleted, iron cross bumper w/ rigid industries dually led's, MA pump rub kit, MA tie rod sleeves, Allison deep tranny pan, 285/75/16 goodyear duratracs
Old 01-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
stanleyrock
Diesel Technician

Yeah I've wondered the same thing OP. So a while back I called Airdog to ask about this, and when one of the "engineers" called back all he could tell me was that using too high an application might "blow out a seal or something".

I keep putting off getting a lift pump because I have just a moderate tune and I keep reading about reliability and customer service issues with both Fass and Airdog.
Bilstein 5100's from Norcal Nick, Fumoto drain valve and stainless bleeder screw from Merchant.
Tekonsha P3 brake controller.
Transynd, Mobil Delvac and Stanadyne PF.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dirtdogg118
Diesel Fanatic

Thanks for the input guys. I sent an email to the Airdog tech dept asking them about the comment in their FAQs section. Haven't heard back yet. I'm kinda wondering if they mention that as a disclaimer in case anything does blow up! Still its got me nervous!
2002 Chevrolet Silverado, 151K miles 6" RCD lift, 35" Toyos, 20" XD Strikes, EFI Live from Duramaxtuner.com, K&N cold air intake, MBRP 4" Exhaust, Airdogg2 165, Cognito UCAs, Cognito tie rods, Moog ball joints, Auto Meter gauges, MBRP exhaust, MBRP downpipe, Pro Fab intake horn, PPE manifolds, PPE up pipes, Built Tranny by Mike L.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
stanleyrock
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdogg118 View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I sent an email to the Airdog tech dept asking them about the comment in their FAQs section. Haven't heard back yet. I'm kinda wondering if they mention that as a disclaimer in case anything does blow up! Still its got me nervous!

Yeah, please make sure to let us know their response.
Bilstein 5100's from Norcal Nick, Fumoto drain valve and stainless bleeder screw from Merchant.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
k9duramax
Supporting Vendor

Unless you plan on going up quite a bit in power, you can easily go with the 100 and be fine. It will be cheaper and the install is just as easy... I believe that the 100 will do exactly what you need... (presuming you aren't talking bumping the power up a lot later).

Old 01-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
stanleyrock
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9duramax View Post
Unless you plan on going up quite a bit in power, you can easily go with the 100 and be fine. It will be cheaper and the install is just as easy... I believe that the 100 will do exactly what you need... (presuming you aren't talking bumping the power up a lot later).

Right, but OP's question is he already has the AD 165 and is nervous about installing it because of his moderate (under 500 hp) tuning.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
k9duramax
Supporting Vendor

Sorry, I ended up going by your last post on "holding off on it" and mistook it for the OP! If you already have it, I would just turn the pressure down on it- if you are down to about 5 lbs, that will help tremendously (I think too that they are trying to be a little over-cautious as the AD's will return whatever isn't needed, so it's not going to run the full 165 gallons per hour through the motor if not needed...). You will still have the filtration, and the positive pressure going to the CP3 and it doesn't have to suck...

Old 01-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
stanleyrock
Diesel Technician

Thanks K9duramax! I think I'll re-study up on Airdog's website and see if I can satisfy myself that it won't cause problems (I am aware of the benefits).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.