Cold air intake - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (5) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Power, Performance & Tuning > Fuel System, Air, Exhaust, & Emissions Upgrades
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
rjohns
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Cold air intake

I just ordered a cold air intake for my 2004.5 LLY. I am not looking for any more horse power just better fuel milage. This $4 a gallon diesel is killing me. Is this going to improve my fuel milage or do I need to modify my exaust system to? I was getting about 16 MPG pulling my boat and about 10 MPH pulling my 35 foot 5th wheel camper so anything will help. I hardly ever drive it unless I am pulling something so I dont know what it gets naked. Has anyone else tried this upgrade to see if it helps on fuel milage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
terryk
Diesel Master

Slowing down will probably gain you more but some people claim tow tunes help. I get 11-12 towing 11k lb 5th wheel at 60 MPH. I might squeeze out a bit more slowing down to 55.

Which cold air intake did you order?
E837 HD Radiator w/EOC + E837 Secondary Cooling Radiator w/fan
Earl's trans cooler, Longs Power Steering Cooler
NuWa Hitchhiker II LS 29.5LKTG 5th Wheel (11klbs)

Last edited by terryk; 11-19-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
rjohns
Diesel Enthusiast

Its a AEM Brute Force Intake and I dont usually pull my boat or camper but 60MPh, but it is a 21foot stratos with a 250 yamaha and my camper weighs 14k so I am pulling a pretty good load either way. I dont have any complaints about the HP, and I dont expect to get great fuel milage pulling these kind of loads, I just thought this CAI might help me a little bit.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
kmac2003
Diesel Head

Your mpg doesn't sound out of line especially with the 14K fifth wheel. My experience has been the LLY is a little less efficient than the LB7 or LBZ. Not sure how much a good mileage tune with EGR turned off and cat delete would get on an LLY. I picked up about 1.5-2.0 mpg unloaded converting my LB7 California emissions to "federal" by flashing in a federal calibration (shut off EGR) and replacing the front pipe/DOC with a federal straight front pipe. Have not towed at all with it since the "federal" conversion. Obviously, all the LLY's have EGR so you would probably need an aftermarket tune to take advantage of shutting off EGR.
Royal Sport Utility Body
Old 11-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
rjohns
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks for the help. I bought the truck used in 08 and it had 53k on it and I put a set of injectors in it at 125k but other than that I have done nothing but drive it. It now has 148k on it and still runs and drives very good. It is a long wheel base 4 door and it pulls my camper very well. I have priced some of the new trucks but if I want to retire from my job in the next 10 years I will keep driving this one. I am going to see what this CAI does for it first and go from there.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
terryk
Diesel Master

Ok, slowing down more won't help.

14k is a good load. I agree with rjohns, your MPG isn't out off line at all.
E837 HD Radiator w/EOC + E837 Secondary Cooling Radiator w/fan
Earl's trans cooler, Longs Power Steering Cooler
NuWa Hitchhiker II LS 29.5LKTG 5th Wheel (11klbs)
Old 11-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
frysl
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

If you look over the dyno info provided by most cold air intake manufacturer's, there is little to no benefit unless you are running at WOT.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Administrator
Resident Coffee Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Thread moved to Fuel System, Air, Exhaust, & Emissions Upgrades forum.

Mark - Courtice, Ontario, Canada.
'97 C3500 Crew Cab Long Box Dually 6.5 Turbo Diesel.
Rebuilt with Navistar 506 block spring 2012
Special thanks to Racer55 and WhiteK2500 for their invaluable assistance!
Commercial OTR Driver Since '95

Find my list of reference information HERE
New members, please introduce yourself HERE
Old 11-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
k9duramax
Supporting Vendor

You won't see any noticeable difference in mpg- I'm betting less than .25 mpg, if that.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
submarinedonks
Diesel Technician

Armed Forces Club Member

Zilch

.25 mpg? Try lower - then try to calculate that!!!! You may notice a drop in EGTs. Your towing mpgs are pretty much in-line with what I get towing a 9k lb travel trailer. There are very few things that will affect mpg increase - none are cheap. Look in the forum for:
1) Tuners/Tunes - Lost sof tuners + EFI Live tunes seem to be choice of most
2) DPF delete
3) EGR block
4) PCV reroute
5) Turbo-back exhaust
Plus many more for the transmission and engine set-up including fuel system upgrades etc.......
Mods can become addictive.... Once you start - see a therapist weekly to avoid falling into the abyss of 1000 HP and 1100 ft-lbs of tourqe!!!
!
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9duramax View Post
You won't see any noticeable difference in mpg- I'm betting less than .25 mpg, if that.
2007.5 Silverado 2500HD LT/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Banks Inter-cooler Boost Tube/PPE Rear Diff Cover/All Season Diesel PCV Re-Route/Edge CTS Insight (Gauges)/EFI Live with DSP5 Idaho Rob Tunes/Kenwood DPX 500BT Head Unit, Polk Audio db651 (front)....
Can-Am 500 MAX XT

http://atptrucks.com/

Active Service Navy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.