Trying to mod LB7 air box. - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Power, Performance & Tuning > Fuel System, Air, Exhaust, & Emissions Upgrades
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance Chat Room

Fuel System, Air, Exhaust, & Emissions Upgrades Discuss upgrades to the Duramax fuel system and air system. Bigger turbochargers, more turbo chargers, air boxes, exhaust systems, emissions systems, and fuel pumps all go here.
This forum is Sponsored by Performance Truck Products

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Craigy
Diesel Student

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Trying to mod LB7 air box.

I went out to pull the airbox, thinking I would need to cut the vanes out of the fender end of it. There are no vanes-just a big hole. The hole is facing the fender, about 4 x 6 inches in diameter- no vanes (maybe previous owner already did it?) Directly in front of the hole on the fender is a heavy foil that is stuck on with some kind of black putty. If I didnt know better (and I dont really) I would think that this was stock......... Looks kind of weird though. Does this sound stock. Should I remove the foil? It is covering up holes (again look factory) in the fender?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
03LB7HP
Diesel Apprentice

Illinois Diesel Power (IDP) Member

TECH TIPS

2001-2005 Duramax Air Intake Modifications

The following is an overview of what I do to the air box on 2001-2005 Models with the flat, rectangular filter. With these modifications I have operated in snow, rain, etc. without issue.

2001 models:
The first Duramax trucks in 2001 had snorkels into the inner fender. GM Service Bulletin # 01-06-04-050 deals with problems associated with resultant poor air flow, filter minder on, SES light illum, and codes P0101/P0103, water stained filters, fouled MAF sensor etc. The fix was to replace the box and reprogram ECM. MANY trucks did not receive this update, and when power enhancing devices (chips) are added, this condition is aggravated, and the chip is blamed for the problem. Some GM dealers will do these updates as a courtesy, but since the bulletin is quite old (10-19-01) most will charge you. The air box can be modified as shown in this Tech Tip, but the programming updates need to be done by a GM dealer or myself. I suggest that all updates be performed to the ECM (engine computer) and TCM (transmission computer) whenever possible. The dealer can give you a print out of the updates installed. The ultimate solution for 2001 trucks is to install Kennedy Custom Tuning or Kennedy Basic Tuning to overcome other obstacles in the 2001 Factory Tuning

2002-2005 models:
These years had the end opened without snorkels so all you have to do is open the forward facing triangle. Here is a 2001 air box with the snorkels removed and the side cut framed out. The entire side is basically removed:

On all boxes, the side of the box has a nice, large, triangular area that can also be removed by cutting as shown:

And resulting in:

I then cut out the cross quadrant ribs resulting in long floor pockets rather than multiple small pockets. I drill a 3/16" drain hole in each of these and add a Uni Foam Air Filter Element and reinstall the box!

Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Craigy
Diesel Student

Thanks.
Advertisement

Closed Thread