LB7: Realistic Fuel Mileage with a tuner - Page 3 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Power, Performance & Tuning > First Generation Duramax Electronics/Tuners
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
WI Huck
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinkanata View Post
I'm also of the mind, perhaps a bit naively, that in the highly competitive truck market, GM probably has a prettygood handle on the best programming given all parameters, for their trucks.
For warranty considerations and emission requirements, yes. The aftermarket can tune for the best engine performance. GM only gives you enough fuel so when you are towing heavy or working the truck hard the EGTís wonít get out of hand. Now add a tuner plus an uninformed driver and they can get the EGTís into the danger zone easily. GM is paying the warranty bills and does not want to leave it up to the driver to be responsible. I donít blame them! Look at the newer trucks with urea injection systems. The power is up because they donít have to tune for emissions as much since the urea is cleaning that up afterwards. The bottom line to get the best mileage is to run the engine where it is most efficient, peak torque, and have enough power to do so. Running empty the need for additional power is not necessary. You will see larger mileage gains come into play when loaded or towing and the additional power is needed.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
Robby Avery
Diesel Master

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

TN Diesel Place Club Member

^^^^Not to start a disscusion but how are you going to see larger gains when your pouring the fuel to it to make the load move and then stay at the constant speed your looking to run? The way it sounds like your saying it is that if you tune it up unloaded your not gaining anything, but if your getting 10mpg towing/loaded with 10,000lbs and then you tune it and get 15mpg it's awesome I don't get it? The reason most people buy tuners is to increase mpg unloaded JMHO.
2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ Duramax Summit White Crew Cab Short Box Tan (neutral) leather LT3 pkg w/sunroof OEM bra 4x4, ISSPRO EV, ATS Twin CP3's, Built Allison, Eaton E-locker front stock G80 rear, Kennedy Twin pump filter combo kit, Snow Perf Stage 2 w/m injection, 4in to 5in banks tip, HM Big K&N, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Rancho RS9000XL, Fabtech HD TR, Cognito P&I Brace kit, DD/Puller/Work Truck

2002 Chevy 2500HD LB7 Duramax Summit White Crew Cab Short Box Grey (neutral) leather LT3 pkg OEM bra 4x4, Kennedy Twin Pump Filter Combo Kit, ISSPRO EV, PPE Boost Valve, DTS Built Allison, MikeL Cooler, ATS Billet Flexplate, Bill's 5in CAI (White), Big K&N, DTS 3in SS IC pipe, 4in to 7in black stack, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Cognito P&I Brace kit, Sleeves, Energy Sway bar Kit, DD/Puller/Work truck

Special Thanks: (David) DTS, (Guy) Socal Diesel, (Nick & Bob) DuramaxTuner, (Dan) PPE, (John) Kennedy Diesel, (Tony) All Season
Old 04-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #23 (permalink)
WI Huck
Diesel Master

It is confusing. To make power you need to burn fuel. The key is how many times a minute you are burning the fuel. At high RPMs you are burning fuel many times a minute and the engine is out of it’s peak efficiency range. Torque is what gets the job done and peak torque is typically at 2000 RPM or less. Horse Power is how fast you get the job done and that is accomplished at higher RPM’s. When the truck is loaded down more torque is needed to do that job. If the engine does not have enough torque or the operator needs the job to get done quicker the accelerator pedal gets pushed down causing the transmission to down shift resulting in higher RPM and lower mileage. Adding a tuner or module gives the engine more power in reserve so the need to downshift is reduced and mileage is gained. Of course the additional power can be used by mashing the pedal and that will not gain mileage or tire tread life. The extra power is a tool that if used right will not hurt the vehicle and will absolutely gain mileage. If the extra power is not required, as in driving empty, the gains will be minimal.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #24 (permalink)
WI Huck
Diesel Master

Hear is another way to explain it;

Stock fueling = a factor of 1.00. 1.00 x 3000 RPM = a factor of 3000.
Added power fueling = a factor of 1.25. 1.25 x 2000 = a factor of 2500.

Now I realize these numbers are only fictional and the way smarter people on here can correct me with the actual numbers, but the theory works. When the transmission has to down shift, you are loosing fuel mileage. Having more power reduces the need to down shift.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
Robby Avery
Diesel Master

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

TN Diesel Place Club Member

Most diesel engines make peak torque from 1500-1700 rpm anything beyond that and your starting to burn more fuel. I run at 55mph and my rpm is about 1480+/- so I'm pretty close the the starting of peak torque which is why my fuel econ is IMO really good for a 7000+ lbs truck. I see your point WI Huck but it is confusing to some extent.
2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ Duramax Summit White Crew Cab Short Box Tan (neutral) leather LT3 pkg w/sunroof OEM bra 4x4, ISSPRO EV, ATS Twin CP3's, Built Allison, Eaton E-locker front stock G80 rear, Kennedy Twin pump filter combo kit, Snow Perf Stage 2 w/m injection, 4in to 5in banks tip, HM Big K&N, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Rancho RS9000XL, Fabtech HD TR, Cognito P&I Brace kit, DD/Puller/Work Truck

2002 Chevy 2500HD LB7 Duramax Summit White Crew Cab Short Box Grey (neutral) leather LT3 pkg OEM bra 4x4, Kennedy Twin Pump Filter Combo Kit, ISSPRO EV, PPE Boost Valve, DTS Built Allison, MikeL Cooler, ATS Billet Flexplate, Bill's 5in CAI (White), Big K&N, DTS 3in SS IC pipe, 4in to 7in black stack, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC 315/75/16 on stock rims, Cognito P&I Brace kit, Sleeves, Energy Sway bar Kit, DD/Puller/Work truck

Special Thanks: (David) DTS, (Guy) Socal Diesel, (Nick & Bob) DuramaxTuner, (Dan) PPE, (John) Kennedy Diesel, (Tony) All Season
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.