H&S or Quadzilla - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Power, Performance & Tuning > Fifth Generation Duramax Electronics/Tuners
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
stoneys94
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

H&S or Quadzilla

Hi guys. I want to buy a tuner to delete the dpf before I cant get one. Do you think H&S or Quadzilla would be best to go with and why. Thanks in advance

Last edited by stoneys94; 12-23-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Armus
Diesel Technician

There are still several places with stock. Be sure to shop around for pricing before buying, as some vendors have been trying to take advantage of the situation by price gouging.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
WhiteHD
Diesel Technician

I've run both on my truck. What's your goal? The Quadzilla has only stock or 80HP tunes working in their Offroad program. Currently, you can't remove the top speed limiter. However, the tire size speedo correction does work. If you're just looking to remove the DPF/urea with mild power gains, then this is a very affordable tuner. If you're looking for bigger power and might hit the drags, then you'll want the H&S. But, it's a lot more money and there is no tire correction. The speed limiter removal does work, but at the cost of the cruise control and exhaust brake.

Last edited by WhiteHD; 12-24-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
chevyinlinesix
Diesel Master

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

There are some places that still have the H&S tuners in stock, but just two days ago was told they are no longer giving out the unlock coded to remove the DPF. I know they WERE giving them out, but apparently they have now stopped. Might want to call to confirm, but my source was reliable
1987 GMC Sierra 1500HD, RC LB, 12 bolt 3.08 posi, built 383 stroker, TH400, 13" towing converter, 26mpg highway, 22 city, daily driver/drag truck. Swapping in a built TT Duramax/Allison. Looking for about 700RWHP
1995 Chevy 3500HD, RC, DRW, 13' for looong box, Dana 80 4.63 gears, double framed, 15,000 GVWR
Member #11 of the TLFTN club, ECLB Member #1
WWW.DMAXSTORE.COM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodis22
Quote this
Old 12-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
TK 421
Diesel Fanatic

I personally went with Quad just on the off chance they continue to support their product. I don't think H&S will. They weren't releasing updates with the tuners still being sold, why would they update them now?

My brother just went through that problem on his 08 F250. Dumbass dealer loaded a new flash trying to fix a problem without telling him, then his edge couldn't read the ECM anymore afterwards. Edge quit supporting the race tuners so when there is a newer flash done by a dealer your screwed. (we tried to get them to load back the previous tune for a few days but they couldn't). I didn't want to run into this problem with H&S. I also have a problem paying $1100 for a race tuner that isn't complete with all of the tuning they intended it to have (working speed limit adjustment with cruise and ex brake, tire size adjustments, etc). Quad doesn't have theirs working completely either but its also a $400 tuner, not $1100.

So far I am very happy with the Quad on the 80HP offroad tune, but it is still new....

Seems like a good balance of power and mileage. Not too much, not to little. I wouldn't mind a more aggressive 125hp tune for some redneck country cruisin though.

Last edited by TK 421; 12-24-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
CaptD
Diesel Technician

I bought a mini maxx 3 weeks or so ago and got the code.....glad i did now...I've not used it yet but at least I have it when I want to use it.....
H&S Mini Maxx (just have to push the button to install)
Cognito 4-6 lift (5" in front- 3" in rear)
Fox Shox
Sulastic Shackles
Pittman arm and idler arm braces
Bushwacker Cut-Out fender Flares (Color Matched)
33x12.50 Toyo MT's on 20" Moto Metal Wheels
Recon smoked tail lights w/Recon smoked 3rd brake light
Du-Ha under seat storage compartment
Old 12-25-2012, 05:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
stoneys94
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks for the replys. Im just looking to get rid of the dpf and a mild tune. I really just want to buy it now so I have it and install it once the warranty is up. How is the stock tranny holding up on the 80hp tune?
Old 12-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
TK 421
Diesel Fanatic

I think that would depend on the driver, I have had trucks with 300hp tunes and stock trannies! I haven't had this 80hp tune long, but I don't think it will be any worse on the tranny with reasonable driving habits.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
CaptD
Diesel Technician

Consensus from the tranny gurus is you are ok to around 600 hp.
H&S Mini Maxx (just have to push the button to install)
Cognito 4-6 lift (5" in front- 3" in rear)
Fox Shox
Sulastic Shackles
Pittman arm and idler arm braces
Bushwacker Cut-Out fender Flares (Color Matched)
33x12.50 Toyo MT's on 20" Moto Metal Wheels
Recon smoked tail lights w/Recon smoked 3rd brake light
Du-Ha under seat storage compartment
Old 12-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
HS Performance
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyinlinesix View Post
There are some places that still have the H&S tuners in stock, but just two days ago was told they are no longer giving out the unlock coded to remove the DPF. I know they WERE giving them out, but apparently they have now stopped. Might want to call to confirm, but my source was reliable
This information is incorrect. We have no intentions of discontinuing support on a product that has already been sold. This has been our stance all along and any other information you hear is a misunderstanding or flat out misinformation.

H&S is here to stay, and will support any product we have sold. By "support", we intend to make sure the unit performs exactly as stated at the time of purchases. Upcoming applications (new vehicle releases) will NOT be supported on older platforms. To tune a new vehicle you will be required to purchase one of H&S Performance's new product line being released in the next 30-60 days. More information about this new product's capabilities will be released shortly. If you desire to know as soon as possible about our new product, please sign up for our newsletter. Thanks!

http://www.hsperformance.com/newsletter/

"Bring on the Power"
The ONLY source for Shift on the Fly RACE tuning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.