Diesel Place banner

Glow Plug Recall and PPE Xcelerator

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  chevdog777 
#1 ·
I know the glow plug info is in the engine section but this has to do with the effect it has on programmers so I am posting here.

I just picked my truck up from having the Glow Plug and Fuel Control recall done. It turns out that once this is done the PPE Xcelerator will not work without a reprogram by PPE themselves. So I am shipping my unit out and they said I should have it back in 2-3 days.

Just thought I would share so it doesn't catch anybody else off guard.

Oh yeah if you try to re-tune you will get the error "Unknown Part Number and some numbers and letter". Then your check engine light will be on and you have to reset an "P2610 Unknown DTC Code"

#2 ·
They must have updated mine before they shipped it to work with the GPCM update...because mine works ok as far as I can tell.

On a unrelated topic, why dont they just let us download the updated software like bullydog does? My xcellerator has a usb plugin on it so i am fairly sure that we could do these updates without sending them back.....

#3 ·
I asked and he said it had to be returned. Who knows, makes you wondering if they are updating or swapping the board and updating them later.

#4 ·
Well I hope my PPE works alright when it gets here tomorrow... I just had my glow plugs replaced a few weeks ago and ordered my PPE today and should have it tomorrow. I suppose all I can do is cross my fingers, and get back to wrok on finishing my stereo before Friday so I can listen to some music on the way to Daytona for the races this wknd!

#5 ·
I know the glow plug info is in the engine section but this has to do with the effect it has on programmers so I am posting here.

I just picked my truck up from having the Glow Plug and Fuel Control recall done. It turns out that once this is done the PPE Xcelerator will not work without a reprogram by PPE themselves. So I am shipping my unit out and they said I should have it back in 2-3 days.

Just thought I would share so it doesn't catch anybody else off guard.

Oh yeah if you try to re-tune you will get the error "Unknown Part Number and some numbers and letter". Then your check engine light will be on and you have to reset an "P2610 Unknown DTC Code"
Did you leave the PPE tune in the truck when you took it to the dealership or did you reset to stock before they did the recall? Because on every programmer I have used, I have only used them n gassers, but I figure they are the same, you have to set to stock because when the dealer hooks up to the Truck and sees something other than stock it will rewrite to stock before performing the diagnostics, and then the programmer itself only has the stock program in its memory not the performance tune, causing it to not work right.

#6 ·
I set it back to stock and drove it to the dealer as a dog :) Really didn't want the dealer knowing I have had it tuned.

#8 ·
I'm beginning to wonder if it was the GPCM update or the fuel control update that broke the PPE. Since they are willing to reporgram it for free I guess it's not that big of a deal.

#9 ·
all ppe tunes made or not updated before june 6 2006 you will have this issue ran into this with three of them now they all work flawlessly. great tune and lots of power!!!!!! and better fuel mileage to go with it also

#10 ·
Update!!!

So I took my Xcelerator back to PPE (they are close to me) and they tried to reprogram it and couldn't. The actual software guy kept asking if I was sure I de-tuned it before taking it to GM. I told him yes and so he tried re-programing it again.

After a couple of more attempts he brought me down a new programmer and said he couldn't fix the old one. Anybody else have problems with their programmer after sending it in for an update? Personally I think the old programmer didn't reset the bit that tells it to unmarry itself from the vehicle. I could be wrong...but I doubt it :)

I still think they think I did not detune it. Oh well I am back on level I and loving life again.

#11 · (Edited)
:ro) just put mine on level 2 for 1200 miles towing a boat. it kicked butt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.