Diesel Place banner

Mold in AC

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  mconway 
#1 ·
Does anybody know how to get mold smell out of the AC system, or know how to clean out the fan box?

#3 ·
Post it up here so it stays in the system for future searches.
My sister just had her new car bought back by GM for a water leak which turned into a bad mold problem.

#6 · (Edited)
Well, In a nut shell you need something strong enough to kill the mold. Microban has been a friend of mine for a long time. You need to fog it into the air intake vent of your vehicle. Deodorizer will not do anything except mask a serious problem. There are to many heaelth risks associated with Mold. Don't half ass a cure for the problem. So after you have fogged the mold in the vent you need to get the vent system clean. How do you do this on a vehicle? Well you're going to have to get creative. Try taking a rag wet with Microban, on a wire and plung down the vents. Try a refigerator coil brush. I really dont have the perfect answer for cleaning auto vents . You will want to take the fan out and clean that as well. Remember... Microban is your friend. Feal free to do a direct surface spray where you can. After you manage to get the entire vent system wiped clean you need to fog the intake again to kill what ever Mold spores are left over. So before you even start with this you need to figure out why the mold developed in the first place. Is there a drain line plugged? Did you not blow out the A/C system with fresh air after using it? I always run the fan on high a few minutes after using the A/C to dry the vents. Try this to start and it should take care of the problem.

#7 ·
I would imagine that if you are going after the mold, be careful about turning the air on until you have cleaned all surfaces. Need to be careful that after you attack the mold, that the spores that they will release to keep their colony going (think startrek) can become air borne and you do not want to breathe that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.