Diesel Place banner

frame beaming

12K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  2001WS6 
#1 ·
Will air bags correct the frame beaming problem?

#2 ·
Subscribing to thread. Interested in the answer.

#4 ·
Frame beaming is the technical term for the rear hopping at 45 or so MPH... go a few MPH up or down and hopping is gone, GM has no known fix for this, all they say is if you put 2-300 lbs in bed and hop is gone then you have frame beaming.

#5 ·
kehale;1938248; said:
what is "frame beaming"?
And it seems every few days someone else is having the problem.

#6 ·
I have an 05 reg cab that vibrates pretty good at about 50 mph. I haven't tried it yet, but I was going to take my spring clamps from truck pulling, and clamp the springs good and tight to see it it made any difference.

#7 ·
Would going to a lighter spring pack like deavers help with this problem?

#8 ·
To answer the original question NO air bags won't stop the problem. Unless I have 1000 lbs in the truck and I use the air bags to level it.:D

#10 ·
I have them and still have the problem.

#12 ·
Document ID# 1708926
2005 GMC Truck GMC K Sierra - 4WD

(Image has been resized. Click it for full size.)
Subject:Suspension Vibration or Frame Beaming at 40-60 MPH - keywords front miss rear shake shock spring suspension TCC tire vibration #PIT3009B - (10/03/2005)

Models:1999-2006 Chevrolet Silverado
1999-2006 GMC Sierra

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1708926&psdid=1058&evc=sm#ss1-1708926">Condition/Concern:

Beam shake vibration is usually felt in the seat and occurring between 40-50 mph. Hertz reading using an EVA tool normal are between 8-24 Hz. This condition is most common on extended cab and crew cab models but has also been noted in other models.
<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1708926&psdid=1058&evc=sm#ss2-1708926">Recommendation/Instructions:

The severity of beam shake may vary from vehicle to vehicle. To determine if the concern is beam shake, please perform the following:

1. <LI type=1>Test drive vehicle to confirm the condition. A beam shake condition will usually respond to concrete type pavements more than asphalt, so the vehicle should be driven over both surfaces if possible.
2. Place 200-500 pounds in the pickup bed between the closed tailgate and the wheel wells. A beaming condition should dissipate.

If the concern is determined to be beam shake this is a normal characteristic and no repair attempts should be made. A Field Product Report should be submitted by following bulletin 02-00-89-002C.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
(Image has been resized. Click it for full size.)
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

#13 ·
anyone have any luck with this? my truck seems to have started doing this now...

#14 ·
#15 ·
My 2500ld crewcab has been beaming ever since I've owned it. And now with a suspension lift, add-a-leaf, and larger tires it seems a little worse to me. I'm very interested to see how these things spring/shackles actually work for people.

#17 ·
GM Ford and Dodge all have the same issue, although it may occur and different speeds. The root cause is an excitation caused by an inbalance in the rear tires. It'll actually come and go as the tires inbalance comes in and out of phase do to differential slip during cornering. The inbalance can be ever so slight, but since we're exciting a natural frequency within the frame, it doesn't take much to set the system into resonance. Changing shackles and springs will not change the problem, it may effect the speed at which the system is excited slightly (±1-3mph), but it won't get rid of it. Best change to get rid of it or lesson it is to balance your tires (load balanced if possible). Ford and Dodge have mass dampers on the frame rails to fight this problem, I'm not sure why Gm doesn't.

#18 ·
I haven't noticed any of the frame beaming type vibration since I installed balance beads in my tires. My old '98 Z-71 extended cab used to do it quite badly right around 42mph. Once I put the balance beads in it greatly reduced if not eliminated the vibration. I changed tires at the same time though so it might be coincidental.

#19 ·
This is interesting.. never heard anything about this before.. I just thought it was the tires until I put them on my dad's pickup and it didn't shake....

Learn something new everyday around here

#21 ·
This sucks! I started wondering where the rest of my frame was the first time I went under the truck. Would my half frame down the center of the truck cause any vibration issues. How bout that it does. How ridiculous is it that a truck designed for heavy duty use isn't wearing a fully boxed or at least a full C channel frame?

#22 ·
timzr02;1994557; said:
This sucks! I started wondering where the rest of my frame was the first time I went under the truck. Would my half frame down the center of the truck cause any vibration issues. How bout that it does. How ridiculous is it that a truck designed for heavy duty use isn't wearing a fully boxed or at least a full C channel frame?
The '07 F-150 has the infamous fully boxed frame and it has the beaming problem worse them our 3/4 tons. The beaming mood is more a function of the frame being to stiff not to limber.

#23 ·
the new chevy's have a fully boxed frame all the way back except for the last 1-2 feet of the frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.