pros/cons of 2006 duramax - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Site Information > Introductions & New Trucks
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2009, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
dura-valenti
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

pros/cons of 2006 duramax

i am looking to buy what believe to be a 2006 3500 SRW CC LB, and i was just looking to see if there are any major problems these trucks share. im sure each truck will have a little hiccup here and there. just looking for any feed back, and if anyone has one of these, how do you like the truck and how capable is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
slinden
Diesel Head

Has the LBZ motor in it. my favorite motor. more hp stock then any other
Old 09-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tanc Crusher
Diesel Sr. Technical Member

INDP Member

Look at the VIN number. If the 8th digit is aOnce you get that info check the post in that section to learn about. Search tool is good to use for things like that. Example ' pro con lbz ' ' pro con lly ' or ' good bad lly ' and many more. The basis is the LLY can have an overheating issue when pulling but can be resolved. Other than that both good engine releases. LLY has a lower HP/TQ but it is built like the LBZ. The LLY is just a detuned LBZ as you may read. But can easily be upped to LBZ power with programmer.

Use the section here Request VIN check forum section to have someone check it out.

Brian
Upgrades: Performance Truck Products for 5" MBRP Turboback 6020AL. Alligator Performance for EGR Blocker. DuramaxTuner for EFI-Live with DSP5 ECM Tune and TCM tune. Meyer Performance for Airdog 150 Gen 1 Lift Pump, Diamond Down Pipe. Merchant Automotive for Suncoast IV with 1056 converter, Amsoil Synthetic Fluid in everything, Pitman Arm Fix.
Configure your FlashScan V2 the way it should be http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=401770
Future: SDP S475 Twin Setup is here-install 6-18-11. On board Air with Side Step Tube Air Tanks, Custom Bed Fuel Tank and Water/Meth Tank.
New Toy: 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Red and all stock for now.

Check out: My Garage for pics of the Truck, Mods, and Toys.
UA Steamfitter, Local 136 Evansville, IN
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
dura-valenti
Diesel Head

what type of programer would bring me up to the lbz prower leaves?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
dura-valenti
Diesel Head

how do you fix the over heating problems?
Old 09-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
BlakeN08
Diesel Fanatic

NC Dmax's Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanc Crusher View Post
The basis is the LLY can have an overheating issue when pulling but can be resolved.
Brian
Just trying to clarify but from my understanding the 06 LLY is the exact same as the LBZ just not the same tune. I was under the impression that the 06 LLY's didn't suffer from the same overheating problems as its 04-05 cousins...
Old 09-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
DuramaxPrime
Diesel Technician

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dura-valenti View Post
i am looking to buy what believe to be a 2006 3500 SRW CC LB, and i was just looking to see if there are any major problems these trucks share. im sure each truck will have a little hiccup here and there. just looking for any feed back, and if anyone has one of these, how do you like the truck and how capable is it?
I have this exact truck, 3500 SRW CC/LB 4X4 LBZ/ALLY SLT.

I love the truck, it drives like a car, and hauls ass either loaded or unloaded. Unfortunately, in 49 500 km's, I've had just about EVERY single common problem that has ever been discussed on the this forum. Most were taken care of on warranty, (usually with multiple comebacks and GM doing more damage to the truck, but thats a different story). That is until last week when the T-case (even after going to 3L over full of synthetic motor oil) decided to destroy itself. Even though the truck has never seen a programmer or been raced more than just a little stoplight action.

Little bit upsetting, but I guess its just something GM owners expect with the whole pump rub/alum internals deal on those T Cases. Luckily, MPL Motor Sports isn't to far away and is going to be taking car of it since the truck is now off warranty.

List of problems I've had.
-Power Steering Pump Replaced 2 Times.
-Transmission Cooler Lines, 3 sets before having custom ones made. (so 4 total)
-Rear Slip Yoke and Output Seal on T-case
-Transmission Seals Leaking (Pan, Side Cover, Shift Cover)
-Leaking Lower Rad Hose 2 times.
-Serpentine Belt @40 000 km's
-Creaking power seats (fixed myself, GM said was not a problem)
-Glow Plug Recall/Re-flash
-Transfer Case Failure 49500 km's, Off warranty, replacement unit, not rebuilt.
2006 GMC 3500, 4X4, LBZ, CC/LB SRW, SLT w/Sunroof and Marker lights. BDS 7inch High Clearance Lift, Kryptonite Steering Ultimate Package 3, 315/75/16 Fierce Attitude MT's on 16X8 4.5BS Helo Maxx 8's, Iron Cross Front Bumper.

http://performancetruckproducts.com/

http://dmaxstore.com/

http://www.norcaltruck.com/
Old 09-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tanc Crusher
Diesel Sr. Technical Member

INDP Member

Your right on the 06 LLY it may not have the overheating problem as 05 or earlier LLY. Not sure but may be right. For programmer any will give you more more but still based off its OS version that is on the OS. EFILive Flashscan V2 be the one with the most capabilites but it comes with no tunes. You make your own or purchase from someone who tunes. I deal with Nick from www.DuramaxTuner.com

Brian
Upgrades: Performance Truck Products for 5" MBRP Turboback 6020AL. Alligator Performance for EGR Blocker. DuramaxTuner for EFI-Live with DSP5 ECM Tune and TCM tune. Meyer Performance for Airdog 150 Gen 1 Lift Pump, Diamond Down Pipe. Merchant Automotive for Suncoast IV with 1056 converter, Amsoil Synthetic Fluid in everything, Pitman Arm Fix.
Configure your FlashScan V2 the way it should be http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=401770
Future: SDP S475 Twin Setup is here-install 6-18-11. On board Air with Side Step Tube Air Tanks, Custom Bed Fuel Tank and Water/Meth Tank.
New Toy: 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Red and all stock for now.

Check out: My Garage for pics of the Truck, Mods, and Toys.
UA Steamfitter, Local 136 Evansville, IN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.