Diesel Place banner

Nitrous Express Quest for the 6’s Chevy DMax Dragster update

6K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  COMP461 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are pictures of some of the innovative parts going together for the NX quest for the 6’s Chevy Dmax Dragsters. First I want to welcome the core participants in this project.

Diesel Performance Research, Curtis Halvorson’s extreme cutting edge innovativeness, is not just in the in diesel performance venue, but spans everything from Indian motorcycle engines to Cadillac LeMans endurance engines and Chevy Indy car engine. Curtis worked at McLaren in engine development on the Cadillac LeMans program, as well as G.M. and Ford performance engine programs , and then he progressed to Roush as engine program manager for the Chevy ZL1 Ramjet, and ZZ 572 engines and Indian motorcycle engine, Curtis also spent time at Banks as race shop manager to include the type R and type D. I meet him during the early phases of the type D program where we conferred on the driveline and other aspects of drag racing the diesel. I remember how excited he was when he was on the way back from Bob Panella’s shop. I knew Bob and Bob Jr. from competition eliminator, and the lineage of that chassis as one of the lightest and most advanced Pro Stock truck ever built.

Industrial Injection will provide the turbo’s, pumps and injectors

Snow Boost cooler

GearVendors I have watched for the last 10 years as the PowergGlide / GearVendors became a staple in NHRA’s Top Dragster and Top Sportsman. I currently use a GearVendors on Project X diesel, and it holds up to full power shifts. I was sold on the GV when I watched as the winner of Drag week in a 3500 hp 2800 torque Camaro drove the entire route

ZZ Custom Fabrications

Polymer Dynamics, coatings and lubricants additives

Here are the Industrial Injections pumps on Curtis new twin pump mount

here is a few pictures of the begainings of intake

See less See more
#3 ·
Here is a picture of the car for those of you that haven’t seen it yet. It a Dave Uhara 288 inch ultra light car that Eddie Hill had built, its new and has never been down the track, it was much too light in construction at the time so it has been sitting at the NX research facility for all these years.

It’s kind of neat in that the front end is suspended by a cable. It’s a 3 piece bolt together car , and Charlie Stewart and myself have talked about back halving it to shorting it another 20 to 25 inches to work with the power level of 1300 hp it will see.

#4 · (Edited)
Wow look who is getting comfortable in the seat , This is Anna Calkins AKA CrewGirl of CrewGirl.com , and one of my crew since my compitition elimanator days

Diesel might have two girls in the Pro’s if the deal on the second car comes in , it’s a V10 Volkswagen project . I am also looking at a GTO or Cobalt Pro Stock Car , can you say 6.90

This is the twin it was damaged when it split a engine at Dallas , this is the last Nuclear Banana , all have either been sold and crashed , or cut up for tubing . The 4.99 car is at Eddies motor cycle shop in Wichita Falls, the **** Red car hangs in NX , and one other car is at the NHRA museum or Garlits museum. This car has yet to go down the race track. The 11 inch Chrisman rear end has been replaced with a Chrisman 9.5 inch titanium rear-end, and the wing has been replaced with a CF TAD wing. I do not plan on running the wing, and with the 33 x 15 tires I will have fun again driving. Eddie has been offered the first pass in the car, but I think he is done with drag racing.

here is the cable suspenion

#6 ·
I need a moment to myself after seeing that.:eek:

Awesome - keep us posted.

:hail:

#8 ·
ZZ fab intake? They got it going on!;) Glad to see them stepping into the DMAX world. I saw Ben Marshalls tubular exhaust header for his cummins.... NICE work! Excited to see what the outcome is. Curtis deffinitly has it going on! Keep us posted Greg.

Joe

#9 ·
The headers are completed now, and its crunch time, were want to be on RayMac’s dyno soon and let Curtis tune this thing up to full potential. The issues that others are having with injection pressure and late cycle pulse , that is manifesting itself in piston erosion should be solved with the twin pump drive unit that drives the pump at a slower speed.
The car is in its final stages of fit out, and it’s time to start thinking about Track testing. We are absolutely confident that this car will run the number before testing is done, and then it’s on to make a stab at NHRA’s top dragster ranks. IHRA has also asked us to match race the BrakeSmart dragster at as many events as possible so it’s looking like a lot of people will get a chance to see some great diesel passes on Nation event prepped tracks

#12 ·
No not really, but we are still shooting for a 6 second pass, and feel that after the motor comes off the dyno; it’s a matter of 5 to 10 passes away. I am confident in the math. The 200 mph barrier is still quite a ways away. The math difference in 195 and 200 mph is close to 600 hp. I’m ready to get back to racing; exhibition passes are not really fun to me. Curtis will be getting his license soon, and will get a chance to make a few laps also.

We plan on running the NHRA Top Dragster Series. And a few NHRDA and NADM races where we look forward to side by side racing. We plan on competing extensively and making multiple 6 second passes, with bracket like consistency. This will demonstrate the versatility of Curtis’s Diesel Performance Research engine programs, utilizing the Chevy Duramax platform.

I believe that the CR diesel will become a lot more popular in the Super Categories with its inherent ability to run consistently in regards to density altitude fluctuations. I am also looking forwards to having a diesel that will give me the ability to spool in half a second , and hit a 4 tenths pro tree.

#14 ·
...... The math difference in 195 and 200 mph is close to 600 hp.
Just off the top of my head that doesn't seem right....

if each 5mph takes ~600hp and I think I can safely assume that as you get faster the HP requirements won't go down.... it would take a top fuel dragster 12000 hp:eek: just to go from 200mph to 300mph.... not counting the hp it took to get to 200mph.

#13 ·
Any appearances in California? Fontana?

#15 · (Edited)
"My children have sufficient self esteem that I don't feel the need to brag about their mild scholastic achievements on the back bumper of my automobile. G. Carlin"

RIP 6/22/08:(

#20 ·
In NHRA we have several classes in Comp that run around 200 mph in a dragster, A/ED , B/D and such .
When Charley Stewart ran A/ED he ran a small engine 454 @ 3,4 lbs per CID . This car ran consistent 6.70’s at 189 to 192 mph. This car had 1100 real hp that would RevGain like you cannot imagine. That comes from a 4.640 bore and a 3.35 stroke. This in a 1550 lbs car with only one carburetor. The class progressed to 500 inch motors from Pro Stock lineage in the last few years; these motors make 1400 hp and 1700 lbs and finally went 200+ mph . They run about 5 to 7 hundredths faster. But the real obstacle was aerodynamic drag. A dragster is very dirty, as far as drag goes.

On the Schieds car, lose the wing and those huge tires, and 200 is a pass away from happening, but then the car will run and drive line a Competition Eliminator dragster and I would not wish that on any one without 500 laps of comp experience. I will run mine like that, 33 X 15 inch tires on a 14 inch wide rim, and the wing is just a $10,000 titanium and carbon fiber conversation piece in the trailer.

The motor is in the car now and the car is coming together really fast ,I expect to be at the track soon , and run in NHRA’s and IHRA’s top dragster .

#22 ·
The motor is in the car now and the car is coming together really fast ,I expect to be at the track soon , and run in NHRA’s and IHRA’s top dragster .
Very cool.... thanks for the update.:)

And by soon do you mean later this summer??? Just wondering.... looking forward to see it run.

#25 ·
hey good luck guys i hope you can kick chummings butts

GO DMAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#26 ·
with the 10.32 @ 132 mph pass of
Of Keith’s Nasty Girl, this using EFI live and not the more advantageous stand alone controller that Curtis uses in him boats and on this dragster project , this at 6800 lbs . This dragster is much lighter then the heaver Cummins powered ones. This engine package will charge the convertor instantaneously making it able to compete on a level playfield in NHRA’s Top Dragster . with Curtis new found innovations , I am confident that this dragster runs deep in the field , and 6,70 is realistic after testing , and with the R&D programs now in progress , low 6 second passes will happen in the next 18 months

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.